Diabetes Myths and Facts
It is estimated that 1 in 3 adults have diabetes or pre-diabetes so it affects all of us one way or the other. Can you identify the myths from facts? Answer true or false, then look below for the correct answers
MYTH OR FACT?
- Eating too much sugar will cause diabetes.
- Eating foods higher in fiber can improve blood sugars.
- Losing 10 pounds can improve my blood sugar control
- My doctor is in charge of my diabetes control.
- MYTH: While sugar does increase blood sugars, not all people who eat sugar will develop diabetes. Diabetes is an insulin problem. Insulin is a hormone that helps your blood sugar get into your cells. People with diabetes produce less (or no) insulin and/or their body builds up a resistance to the insulin that they produce. It is the lack of insulin that causes the blood sugars to become high. That said, eating too much sugar can lead to a cycle of elevated blood sugars in many people, so it is best to limit added sugars, sweetened beverages and even enriched floured items as best possible.
- FACT: Fiber takes longer to digest which slows the release of the glucose into the blood stream. Fiber is only found in plant-based foods and all plant-based foods contain some carbohydrates. Many people believe carbohydrates are bad if you have diabetes, but in fact they can be the key to reversing insulin resistance when consumed as part of a low fat, whole food plant-based diet.
- FACT: This is especially true for a person who weighs 200 pounds or less. If you weigh more than 200 pounds, then consider a 7-10% loss. This amount of weight loss can make a tremendous difference in your blood sugar control. Weight loss can also improve your blood pressure, your cholesterol and energy level.
- MYTH: Most people with diabetes will spend less than 2 hours with their doctor annually. While your doctor is a very important part of your diabetes team, YOU have the ultimate responsibility and control over your diabetes. Dr. Joslin once stated, “People with diabetes who know the most live the longest”.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
- Watch the Nutritional Wisdom Diabetes Series on the Wolfeboro Community Television YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Ah3ZPP5ugcsWnFstkidmw
- Attend one of my Sugar Detox or Reclaim Your Health five week programs: https://pattywalkerrd.com/programs/
- Set up a private consult to individualize your plan: https://pattywalkerrd.com/contact/
Patty Walker RD LD CDE CLT
Patty is proud to serve her community’s nutritional needs for over 35 years. WIth deep knowledge in nutrition for diabetes as well as passion for plant-based diets, Patty supplies nutritional keys to unlock health by getting to the root of disease and helping others set a course for optimizing health. In addition to coaching individual clients and teaching classes, Patty provides education seminars to local businesses, writes monthly nutrition articles, is a key educator for the Lions Club’s Diabetes-Reduction Initiative and hosts “Nutritional Wisdom” cable show on WCTV. The goal is to reach as many people in my community that I possibly can with the truth about the power of nutrition and healthy living.
Top 5 Mistakes People Make When Quitting Sugar
You try and try again but can’t seem to kick that sugar addiction. What’s up? Perhaps you’re mistakenly falling prey to one (or more) of the top mistakes that can keep you on the sugar rollercoaster.